Saturday, April 23, 2011

Day 24 – How do you feel about Open Source vs Proprietary software?

As explained in a previous post, I drank the blue Kool-Aid (a euphemism for joining the Microsoft camp) years ago.  Having recently seen Tron: Legacy, I am reminded that the original Tron movie forecasted a paradise of free software for all, bringing a utopia of equal access for all.

That hasn’t happened, but I don’t believe that Proprietary is the problem.  Proprietary is one way to ensure quality.  I like the Wild West of the Internet, but I want software that runs on it consistently.  All jokes aside about the lack of quality in Microsoft products, can you imagine how much worse it would be if it was run by a bunch of volunteers?

Yes, I know that’s what Linux represents, but I won’t have a bar of it.  You still need a Proprietary version of it (Sun, HP) in order to have somebody you can go back to, in order to make it work properly.

No comments:

Post a Comment